The Atlanta Bike Champions program launched last fall as a program of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition (ABC) in collaboration with the City of Atlanta, Relay Bike Share, and other community partners as a way to foster inclusive, city-wide use of the bike share system.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: The Atlanta Bike Champions program was started with support from the Better Bike Share Partnership, an organization focused on creating equitable bike share systems across the country. This cohort of Champions is also funded by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, which funds the creation of innovative, cost-effective responses to the issues that negatively affect children: poverty, unnecessary disconnection from family and communities with limited access to opportunity.
This program’s goals are to
- Improve community wellness and connectedness (both social and spatial) in NPU-V
- Contribute to the sense among NPU-V communities that biking is beneficial for everyone (and not a niche or an exclusive activity)
- Increase the sense of ownership NPU-V residents and community organizations have of bike share and bikeways, both in their neighborhoods and in their city
The Atlanta Bike Champions will achieve these goals by organizing and participating in outreach activities that
- Raise awareness of bike share and biking as a healthy form of recreation and a useful means of transportation in NPU-V
- Provide fun, compelling opportunities for NPU-V community members to experience the benefits of biking and of using bike share
- Engage residents in the planning and launch of Relay Bike Share in NPU-V
In collaboration with community-based nonprofits and partners, the program will provide Atlanta Bike Champions with an enriching work environment and the fulfilling experience of contributing to the development of a bike share system that reflects the vibrancy and community spirit of Atlanta’s NPU-V neighborhoods.
BIKE SHARE CHAMPION EXPECTATIONS:
- Complete a comprehensive 40-hour training on the Relay Bike Share program, biking in Atlanta, bike safety, outreach strategies and professional development.
- Attend monthly Neighborhood Planning Unit & neighborhood association meetings
- Identify and attend 2 community events/festivals per month
- Identify and set up a meeting about bike share with an interested group (such as a local church/faith institution, business, or school) - at least 1 meeting per month
- Lead bike share classes
- Assist people with signing up for bike share
- Distribute brochures and collect contact information for interested community members
- Collect stories with potential to be shared by ABC and partners
- Available for training Oct 20-28 nights and weekend (40 hours total)
- Lives in and has close ties to an NPU V neighborhood
- Communicates effectively with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, income levels, and sexual orientations
- Comfortable presenting information to groups (public speaking)
- Punctuality and good attendance
- Persistence, professionalism, creativity
- Problem-solving skills, flexibility, self-motivation
- Willingness to learn about biking in the city
- Commitment to following traffic safety laws and using all appropriate bike safety gear, including helmets and lights
- Interest in working with bike sharing systems.
- Interest in supporting and informing the communities they live and work in
- Familiarity with navigating around the communities of Atlanta’s NPU V
The weeks of Sept 26-Oct 2-6, with option to choose morning, lunchtime, or evening
TO APPLY - TWO OPTIONS
- Online application form - https://goo.gl/forms/wJdP70tyQBxpbGZR2 or
- Mail printed application to
LaMiiko Moore, Atlanta Bicycle Coalition
Re: Bike Champions
889 Wylie St SE
Atlanta, GA 30316
If you have questions about the position, feel free to reach out to [email protected]
The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and safe and welcoming spaces for people of all races, religions, national origins, marital status, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, abilities, ages, veteran status, or political affiliations.
PRINTABLE ATLANTA BIKE CHAMPION APPLICATION
Print the text below and mail, or fill out the online application: https://goo.gl/forms/wJdP70tyQBxpbGZR2
Name (First & Last): __________________________________________________________________
City: ___________ State:______ Zip:____________ Age:______
Birth Date (mm/dd/yyyy): _________________________________________
What is your racial or ethnic identification? __________________________
What is your gender?__________________________
Phone (xxx) xxx – xxxx: __________________________________________
1. What neighborhood do you live in? _______________________________
2. How long have you lived in Atlanta? ________________________________
3. What kinds of transportation do you use often? (ex. MARTA, bike, walk, drive, carshare, drive alone)
4. Do you have experience biking in Atlanta? (Yes/No)
If yes- do you consider yourself (circle one)...
Very strong // Confident // Cautious
If not, what interests you about biking? ____________________________________________________________
5. What hobbies/activities do you enjoy the most?
6. What would you like to gain from this program? (please include both professional goals and bike related goals)
7. What do you hope this program will provide for your community?
8. What community organization(s) do you volunteer or have a connection with (for example - church/faith, neighborhood organizations, local non-profits, etc. )
9. Select all the days and times you could be available for meetings and training (first training will include a full weekend Friday-Sunday; other trainings will be scheduled based on the availability of those selected to be Champions and child care will be provided):
Check all that apply:
Mondays 9-12 ; 5-8; 6-9
Tuesdays 9-12 ; 5-8; 6-9
Wednesdays 9-12 ; 5-8; 6-9
Thursdays 9-12 ; 5-8; 6-9
Fridays 9-12 ; 5-8; 6-9
Saturdays 9-12 ; 12-3; 3-6
Sundays 9-12 ; 12-3; 3-6
10. Can you commit to attending a 40-hour training and 10 hours a week after the training?
11. How did you hear about this opportunity?
Community member (please specify):
Social Media (please specify):
Non-Profit Organization (please specify):
Neighborhood Organization (please specify):
News Outlet (please specify):
Job Center (please specify):
Other (please specify):
Oct 20-28 nights and weekend (40 hours total)
Be the first to comment
Sign in with