Want the inside scoop on Atlanta Streets Alive? With so many things to see and do, our staff wanted to give you some insider tips.
You should know that:
- When you bring tens of thousands of people to the one street, food options get a bit slim. Consider bringing a picnic and enjoying your food in a local on-route park.
- You can't have too much sun protection. Bring Sunscreen. And chapstick with sunscreen. And a hat, bonnet, umbrella, or whatever floats your boat. Bring one for you, and another for a friend.
- We love beer (especially New Belgium!) But we aren't permitted for it. That means NO drinking on the street! If you're on public property (aka not a business or home,) the police can ticket you.
- Your shoes are important. Ask yourself, "Would my Grandma say these have enough arch support?" If the answer is no, skip them and try another pair. Your feet will thank you.
- Bike share will have 10 stations with 100 bikes along the route. Take advantage of the pilot and ride them!
- Children, the elderly, and those who generally could use an excuse to explore are some of the best people to bring along! Bring a lawn chair and ditch the smart phone. Their company is precious and it's a great place to people watch with the people you love.
Staff Suggested Things:
- Visit an Atlanta Bicycle Coalition tent (2 on the route) and get a limited-edition T-Shirt. We'll also have FREE bicycle tours happening on the half hour and leaving from the ABC tent at 10th & Peachtree, courtesy of Bicycle Tours of Atlanta.
- Bring lawn chairs, your friends, and a picnic. Sit in the middle of the street. Watch the sunset make silhouettes of thousands of people biking and walking on Peachtree St.
- Check out I See a Story: The Art of Eric Carle exhibit at the High Museum. Did you know that admission at the High Museum will be free on June 12?!?!
- Check out all the activity around Colony Square (between 14th and 15th streets) including the Chalk Artists Guild, Billions for Change, outdoor screening of the Euro-cup match, ping-pong, and more.
- Bring a friend that would never go unless invited! Invite a senior, invite a mentee! Atlanta Streets are meant for everyone so let's share the love of this rare occasion and enjoy the car-free experience with everyone we love.
- Enjoy a cold New Belgium beer at many of the restaurants along the route (some with a beer garden!), BUT remember no boozing on the street - this ain't Mardi Gras, y'all!
- Catch a glimpse into the world of BMX at the Clutch BMX tent! BMX riders are bikers too.
- I can't stress enough how much sun protection you'll be wanting!
- Enjoying the Peachtree that could be? Be sure to refer to any ABC tent along the route to gain insightful information on our advocacy efforts and membership!
- Check out Relay bike share.
- Bring a kid! Atlanta Streets Alive is the perfect place to watch a child experience the freedom of biking on a city street
- Bike over to West Peachtree Street and compare your experience biking there versus Peachtree Street. Then sign up for updates on our campaign to get protected bike lanes on Peachtree!
- Combine your bike trip with MARTA. After a full day of fun, you might be grateful for a lift home.
- Get wacky and tacky at the Bicycle Parade. Dress up in stripes (you and your bike) and ride the route in our parade. Not only is it a blast, but you'll help bring attention to our campaign to bring protected bike lanes to Peachtree Street.
- Arrive with your kids early and take advantage of the free Family-Day event happening at Woodruff Arts Center. Since that's the start of the route, you can get there at 2pm or 3pm and then hop over to Atlanta Streets Alive!
- Take MARTA! There are 5 stops along the route and it's great for people who aren't on bike. Start at the top of the route at the Arts Center stop (their station has art and whimsy to enjoy before you get to the street!) and enjoy the opening remarks and the kick off of the bike parade.
- Stroll down Peachtree, support one of the many local businesses and save room for a King of Pops, which will be at three spots along the route.
- You won't want to miss Woodruff Park-- check out all that's happening: Stop by the REI pumptrack |ACF village--learn about all the amazing events and rides going on during Atlanta Cycling Festival |Chess Tournament with some world class players! |Soccer on the green |There will also be a DJ to add to the energy of downtown.
- Take your time, and check out anything that strikes your fancy. Whether it's an activity on the street or a particularly enticing shop or café, enjoy this perspective of our city's most iconic street. Explore!
- Bring whatever essentials you need for a comfortable day—plus, an open mind to envision the future of a Peachtree brimming with people-centric activity.
- If you've been contemplating switching up your transportation habits or even thinking of going car-free, why not make Atlanta Streets Alive part of a completely car-free day or weekend as a trial run?
Sunday, June 12th from 4-8pm!
Do you like this post?
Be the first to comment
Sign in with