This class is for true beginners – kids* or adults who have never been on a bicycle or those who may have tried riding a bike a few times, but are not comfortable balancing, starting and stopping, shifting gears, and scanning the environment while pedaling.
Please bring your own bike to participate in this class!
- We host this class every Thursday at Washington Park from 4 PM - 6 PM. While we do have a fleet of bikes available for use at our weekly Thursday classes, we are unfortunately not able to provide bikes at the ACF edition of True Beginners.
- We ask that you please ensure that your bike is in good riding condition -your local bike shop can help with this.
We have a limited number of bikes for true beginners to use. Please bring your own bike, helmet, water, and sunscreen. There will be a brief informational session and ample time spent on the bike.
Getting started classroom
• Helmet fit – two finger rule
• Know your bike
• Bike safety – ABC Quick Check
Basic skills outside
• Power start
Safety essentials classroom
• Road rules (bike as a vehicle)
• Safe riding practices
• What to carry
Advanced skills / Additional practice outside
• Continue to work on Basic Skills, or
• Scanning over shoulder
• Turns and signaling
• Gear Shifting
These free classes are provided with the support of the Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety.
*Please note that anyone under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian throughout the entire class. The parent/guardian does not have to participate in the class, but minors cannot be "dropped off" to this class.
60 Georgia Ave SE
Atlanta, GA 30312
Google map and directions